Sunday, October 19, 2014

May 23-30, 1942 Southington, Connecticut. ("Where Southington folk buy their magazines.")


This colorized photo is the result of  what was an
almost year-long journey of internet detective-work.
My mission was to find all the magazines in this photo 
(in their original colors). 

This B&W photo appeared on Shorpy.com, Dec 2013.
The photo was taken by Fenno Jacobs, Office of War Information,
 (Original file from the Library of congress).

This next version shows only the magazines I found on the internet.
The rest of the shot was completely colorized.
I estimate the amount of magazines I found to be about 85% of the 
entire amount of magazines in this photo.

The following comment on Shorpy.com (Dec 2013) was what prompted me to
start on my journey. 

On some cases I had to be a true detective to find a magazine
where only a slither of it was visible in the photo.



In this case the very unique font of the "P" 
was the clue to help my search. 
Although I had not fount the exact issue that is in the B&W photo, 
I had found the magazine name and copy of another cover.

Here is another photo showing the same location on the same day 
with some other magazines visible.
 (Original file from the Library of congress)

The following is a collection of all the magazines / pulp magazines and comic-book covers
 I found and incorporated into my colorized project. 
Although the photo was taken in May of 1942, 
only a small number of the magazines are dated "May 1942". 
Most of the magazines in this photo are dated "June 1942" and "July 1942".

Sky pulp Magazins
These first two rear magazine covers were provided to me with the help of
Bill from ThePulp.Net. Thank you Bill






Sci-Fi and Fantasy pulp magazines













Murder and Detective pulp magazines 
The next two rear covers were provided to me with the help of
Bill from ThePulp.Net. Thank you Bill












Here is the original cover art of the shadow (June 15th 1942) without the print.
Cover artist: George Rozen (1895-1973)




Love magazines








Cowboy pulp magazines
These first four rear magazine covers were provided to me with the help of
Bill from ThePulp.Net. Thank you Bill


















Film magazines





Sport magazines



War related magazines





General intrest and hobby magazines
After working on this project for so long I just had to have one of the magazines from this photo.
I have purchased this "Coronet" magazine.


And this is it's content:


   

This front page is colorized. 
It appears in the second photo facing us where as in the first photo
this magazine is laying flat. 
     










Chart magazines



Humor magazines & Humor comics











Comic books


 Here is the original line work for the cover above.






This next five covers where updated with the help of 
Mr. Chris Rednour. Thank you Chris!














































Here are some magazines that appear in the other shot from the same day
but do not appear in my colorized shot.








Here are some magazine brands for wich I could not find the exact issue
as it appears in the photo.





















Here is a rear color footage of an actual pulp stand.
(It appears in the 11th Min & 20th sec of the movie)
I've researched the magazines in  the frame and found this one:
It's a July 1943 issue of "Startling Detective"














9 comments:

  1. I've seen in Shorpy your fantastic work. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic ! I' ve seen your work in shorpy too. Remarkable work, really amazing. Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your diligence is impressive! I like the typo above the sf and fantasy magazines...like many sf readers (and writers, though I've infrequently published), I don't much care for the "sigh-fie" tag...and SHORT STORIES was a more general-fiction pulp, if adventure-story-oriented..."true detective" magazines weren't actually pulps, nor was ELLERY QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE...and, unlike the pulps, both EQMM and the supposedly nonfiction magazines are still with us! JUDGE wasn't quite a comics magazine, though it did carry (mostly one-panel) comics...kind of a more gentle NATIONAL LAMPOON or less newsy THE ONION of its day. Very fine work, in aggregating these as much as in retouching the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, and ARGOSY in those years was also an eclectic-fiction pulp magazine. It would shift toward being more a men's general-interest magazine (the hairy-chested version of ESQUIRE) in the next decade...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's dedication. And what an assortment of covers! Fabulous work. Congratulations on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work, outdone only by the patience and dedication needed to perform it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like you recreated May 1942! Thanks for your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo, bravo, bravo, I am particularly fond of this photo because my grandfather, Sabatino Apples, worked at SoHaCo in Southington and often went to buy newspapers in this resale.

    Bravo, bravo , bravo, io sono particolarmente affezionato a questa foto perchè mio nonno, Sabatino Mele, lavorava alla SoHaCo in Southington ed andava spesso a comprare i giornali in questa rivendita.

    ReplyDelete