The Dewey Arch was a temporary structure built of a plaster-like material, and thus did not survive. A previous temporary wood-and-plaster triumphal arch was built to commemorate General Washington in Washington Square, and proved so popular that it was decided to replace it with a permanent stone version.
This ornate was an exceptionally lavish structure.
It was built to commemorate a then-recent event — the victory of Admiral George Dewey at
"The Battle of Manila Bay", which took place on May 1, 1898.
For Dewey’s triumphant arrival to New York, in late September 1899, the entire city was lit up with‘ to greet the procession.
The fireworks display for the event would be
The only existing reminder of the Arch near the site was a bar and restaurant called
. It closed it doors on Dec 2014.